Matar Kachori is a crispy, flaky, deep fried Indian bread stuffed with green peas. These are generally prepared during winter as plenty of fresh peas is available. The sweetness of fresh green peas and the spices make this Matar Kachori so delicious. These kachories are relished in all North Indian house hold and can be eaten during all the three major meals of the day or even as snacks with sweet chutney.
Yield: 10 to 12
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
2 cups Maida (All purpose flour)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 tablespoon Ghee (clarified butter)
Oil to fry
For the filling:
2 cups fresh Green Peas (frozen can be used)
1 tej patta (bay leaf)
4 lavang (cloves)
2 Elaichi (cardamoms)
1 teaspoon Ginger chopped
4 Green chillies chopped
1/2 tsp Amchur powder (dry mango powder)
1/4 teaspoon hing (Asafoetida)
1 tsp Salt to taste
2 tablespoon oil
- In a large bowl mix flour and salt.
- Add ghee and mix well till it appears like bread crumbs. Knead well with water to a semi soft and dough.
- Keep it aside for half an hour covered with a moist kitchen towel.
- In a food processor grind peas, ginger and green chilies, to a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add hing, tej patta, lavang and elaichi.
- Add the green peas paste and sauté on low heat till the mixture is dry and becomes crumbly.
- Add the salt and amchur powder and mix well.
- Take it off the heat and let the mixture cool.
How to Proceed
- Knead the dough for a minute, divide in to 10 to 12 portions, and roll into balls.
- Take a ball, flatten it into a tiny Poori.
- Add 2 teaspoon of peas filling and bring all the edges together to seal, roll to make a ball again.
- Flatten it and roll into a Poori, do not make the Poori too thin or too thick.
- Heat the oil on medium heat, gently slide 1-2 Kachori and allow the Kachori to puff up, gently flip it to cook another side, reduce the heat, cook until both sides becomes golden. Flip Kachori in between as needed.
- Repeat same for rest of the Kachories.
- Enjoy with Aloo Tamatar ki Sabzi (Potato Tomato Gravy).
Note: The dough can be made with half plain flour and half whole wheat flour.