Khatta Meetha Nimboo Ka Achar (Lemon Pickle) is a super tasty sweet tangy pickle made with just 3 ingredients, without any single drop of oil and long lasting for year(s). This yummy pickle is so very easy and quick to make. Don’t be put off by seeing just 3 ingredients. Sometimes little is more and this recipe proves it so true.
This is my mother in laws recipe and simply loved by all of us in the family and even by my friends.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for Khatta Meetha Nimboo Ka Achar
25 lemons (medium size, thin skin)
250 grams sugar
250 grams salt / rock salt
1 to 1½ tablespoon red chilli powder
Directions for Khatta Meetha Nimboo Ka Achar
- Wash the lemons and lay them on a clean kitchen towel for the water to dry.
- Cut the 20 lemons into 8 pieces each. Remove the seeds which come out while cutting.
- Squeeze out the juice from 5 lemons.
- Now place all the ingredients in a big bowl, pour the juice and give a good mix.
- Transfer the lemon pickle into a clean dry glass/ ceramic jar.
- Stir the pickle once every day for at least a week.
- Now check the salt, sugar and lemon and adjust it to your liking.
- The pickle will be ready after 6 weeks to eat but it is best after 8 weeks.
Notes: The gravy of the pickle will become thick as the pickle ages. If you want the pickle to have a little more juice then add 2 to 3 more lemons juice. Ratio of sugar, salt and chilli will depend on the size of lemon and also on individuals liking. The pickle will retain the red colour even after a year if not kept under the sun.