Onion Uthappam (Thick Rice Pan Cake) is a staple of every South Indian home and is prepared using fermented lentil rice batter. In fact this is a very popular breakfast and evening snack dish eaten all over India. Uthappam is a very healthy and filling dish made using very little oil.
Uthapam is very versatile and accommodating. Keep it simple and just prepare onion uttapam or try out different vegetable toppings to make Vegetable Uttapam.
Yield: 5 to 6
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Ingredients For Onion Uthappam
½ kg idli dosa batter
1 cup onion chopped fine
1 tablespoon coriander chopped
1 teaspoon ginger chopped fine
1 green chilli chopped fine
2 tablespoon grated carrot (optional)
Directions For Onion Uthappam
- Mix all the chopped vegetables and set aside.
- Heat a tava (skillet) and add a drop of oil and clean the tava.
- Pour a ladle of batter to form a very thick dosa. Do not spread it as uthappam should be thick.
- Sprinkle the vegetable mixture evenly and drizzle a few drops of oil.
- Keep the heat on medium or low and cook till you see a lot of holes on the top and it is golden at the base.
- Flip the uthappam, drizzle oil and cook for a minute or till the vegetables are well roasted and the utthapam is crisp on one side.
- Serve hot with chutney and sambhar.