Bhindi Sambharia (Stuffed Okra) is a mouthwatering recipe made with tender lady fingers. This Gujrati style stuffed bhindi is a delicacy that has a good mix of spices and textures. Bhindi Sambharia is easy and quick to prepare.
Okra can be prepared in many ways. It can be fried, sautéed, stuffed, or made as a curry. This simple is very versatile and loved by most throughout India.
Yield: 2 to 3 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Ingredients For Bhindi Sambharia (Stuffed Okra)
300 grams bhindi (okra)
½ teaspoon rai (mustard)
A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
2 tablespoon curry leaves
2 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
For the stuffing
3 tablespoons fresh coconut, grated
2 tablespoons peanuts coarsely powdered
1 teaspoon safed til (white sesame seeds)
2 tablespoon coriander leaves finely chopped
½ teaspoon green chilli paste
1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
2 tablespoon roasted powder mix (cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder)
1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon amchur (dry mango powder)
1/3 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon gur (jaggery) or sugar
Salt to taste
Directions For Bhindi Sambharia (Stuffed Okra)
- Wash the bhindi, pat dry and trim both the ends. Make a slit length wise in centre taking care not to cut into 2.
- Transfer all the ingredients listed for the stuffing in a bowl, give a good mix and adjust the salt and seasoning to your liking.
- Stuff the bhindis with prepared stuffing.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan; add rai, asafoetida, bhindi and saute till well coated with oil.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Increase the heat, add curry leaves and stir and cook on medium heat till well sauteed and cooked.
- Now add the left over stuffing and cook on low heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice.
- Serve with roti and rice.