Baigan Bharta Punjabi Style (Roasted Eggplant) is a delicious dish with smoky flavor. For this dish baingan is roasted, mashed and then cooked with spices and onion. On the roadside Dhabas they roast them in a Tandoor which enhances the taste.
The smoked and mashed eggplant is then mixed with fresh coriander leaves, chili and onions.Traditionally, this dish is often eaten with roti or paratha (Indian Flatbread) and is also served with rice or raita, a yogurt salad.
Yield: 2 to 3 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Ingredients For Baigan Bharta Punjabi Style
300 grams bharta baigan (Eggplant)
½ cup onion chopped
½ cup tomato chopped
1 teaspoon ginger chopped
1 teaspoon garlic chopped
1 green chilli chopped fine
2 teaspoon coriander chopped
½ teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
¼ teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
½ teaspoon jeera powder (cumin)
½ teaspoon garam masala
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon ghee
Directions For Baigan Bharta Punjabi Style
- Wash and make a slit on the baigan. Place it on the flame to roast till the skin is charred and the baigan is soft all over. You can roast it in the oven also.
- Cover it with a napkin and let it cool.
- Peel the charred skin and mash it with a fork and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan; add jeera, garlic, ginger, green chilli and saute for a minute.
- Add the onions and saute till light brown.
- Now add the tomatoes and saute till mushy.
- Add all the spices except the garam masala and saute for a minute.
- Now add the mashed baigan and saute for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Add the garam masala and chopped coriander.
- Serve with roti or paratha.