Lahsooni Methi Paneer (Cottage Cheese gravy with fenugreek leaves & garlic) is a delicious dish bursting with flavors of fenugreek and garlic.The sharpness of methi and the pungency of garlic are well balanced by the sweetness of honey and soft cubes of paneer. The mouth melting cubes of cottage cheese cooked in yogurt based gravy makes this dish healthy and nutritious.
Cottage cheese is packed with calcium and protein and methi is a good source of iron and fiber. To keep all the goodness intact this creamy gravy is made with less oil, no cashew paste and only a bit of cream is used but that can be avoided. You may watch our Video on making of Lahsooni Methi Paneer.
I have used the methi leaves fresh from my balcony garden. The joy of growing, harvesting and then cooking is what I truly love doing. Last week I helped a group of my friends with setting up their balcony garden. We all sowed methi, coriander and tomatoes to start with. Just waiting to see the smile on their faces…
Yield: 3 to 4 serving
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for Lahsooni Methi Paneer
300 grams paneer cubed (cottage cheese)
½ cup onion chopped fine
½ cup methi leaves chopped fine (fenugreek)
¼ teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
½ teaspoon dhania (coriander powder)
½ teaspoon chilli powder
½ cup hung curd
1 tablespoon cream (optional)
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon oil
For garnishing (optional)
1 teaspoon ghee
½ teaspoon garlic sliced
For the paste
1 cup onion chopped
1 tablespoon garlic chopped
1 tablespoon ginger chopped
½ cup tomato chopped fine
2 Javitri (mace)
1 tablespoon ghee/oil
Directions for Lahsooni Methi Paneer
For the paste
- Heat the oil in a pan; add the garlic, ginger, onion and mace, saute till onions are translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till mushy. Switch off the heat.
- Blend this into fine paste and set aside.
For the paneer
- Heat oil in the same pan; add onions and saute till light brown.
- Add the methi and saute till all the moisture evaporates.
- Add all the dry spices and stir for a minute.
- Now add the prepared paste and saute till it leaves the sides.
- Stir in the curd and mix well.
- Add the cream, honey, salt and saute for a minute.
- Add ½ cup water and paneer, gently stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and check the seasoning.
- Heat ghee in a small pan; add sliced garlic and saute till light brown.
- Pour on the paneer and serve.
Note: You can pan fry the paneer in 1 tablespoon oil. Methi leaves should be chopped really fine.