Bhindi ka Salan (Tangy Okra Curry) is a tangy and spicy dish. This dish is made just like Mirchi Ka Salan , a popular dish from Hyderabad that is often served with Biryani. This creamy, smooth gravy has a good blend of spices, tanginess from tamarind, sweetness from jaggery and nutty flavours from peanuts, coconut and sesame seeds.
This rich gravy is made without using much oil unlike the traditional recipes where okra is fried and then added to the gravy. I have air fried the okra and trust me there is no compromise on the taste. This tastes even better without too much of oil.
Yield: 3 to 4 serving
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Ingredients For Bhindi Ka Salan (Tangy Okra Curry)
300 grams bhindi (okra) washed
½ cup onion sliced
1 teaspoon coriander chopped
2 teaspoon curry leaves
1 teaspoon mustard
¼ teaspoon methi (fenugreek seeds)
½ teaspoon saunf (fennel seeds) optional
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon dhania (coriander powder)
¼ teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
1 teaspoon gur (jaggery)
2 tablespoon imli paste (tamarind)
2 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
For the paste
1 tablespoon peanuts
1 tablespoon safed til (white sesame)
2 tablespoon coconut grated
2 to 3 dry red chillis
1“ piece of ginger chopped
4 to 6 garlic pods
Direction For Bhindi Ka Salan (Tangy Okra Curry)
- Trim both the ends of all the bhindi and air fry them for 5 to 7 minutes on high heat or shallow fry with 3 tablespoon oil in a pan or you can even deep fry them in hot oil. Set aside.
- In a pan; dry roast peanut, til, coconut and red chilli, till fragrant. Add the garlic and ginger and make a fine paste by adding little water, set aside.
- In the same pan heat oil, add the mustard, fenugreek, and fennel and allow them to splutter.
- Add the onions and saute till golden brown.
- Now add all the dry spices, curry leaves and toss.
- Add in the paste and saute till oil starts to separate.
- Add water, salt, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the jaggery, tamarind paste, bhindi and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. By this time the curry will be smooth and thick.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with rice or chapati.