Kathal Ka Achar (Jack Fruit Pickle) is very delicious and my favourite. The pickle is made during summer as this is the season in India when Jackfruit is available in plenty.
This pickle is made from raw jackfruit. A good blend of spices and unripe mango is used for making this pickle sour and spicy. Store in a clean dry bottle and it will last for 6 months or even a year. This pickle is best eaten with paratha, roti or even rice.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
INGREDIENTS FOR Kathal Ka Achar (Jack Fruit Pickle)
1 kg Jack fruit cut
2 medium mangos chopped into small pieces
50 grams red chilli powder
½ teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
150 grams salt
1 tablespoon sauf (fennel)
½ teaspoon methi (fenugreek)
100 grams yellow sarson powder (mustard)
½ teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
300 ml mustard oil
1/3 cup vinegar
DIRECTIONS FOR Kathal Ka Achar (Jack Fruit Pickle)
- Bring plenty of water to boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt and a pinch of haldi and the jackfruit.
- Boil for 5 to 7 minutes. Jackfruit should be a little firm, not to be fully cooked.
- Drain and spread on a towel in the sun or under the fan for 1 hours.
- Dry roast the sauf and methi and make a coarse powder.
- Transfer the jackfruit in a large mixing bowl, add the chopped mango.
- Add all the spices in the jackfruit except the hing.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil, add the hing and pour on the masala.
- Add rest of the oil and vinegar.
- Give it a good mix. Cover and set aside.
- Stir ones or twice for 3 days.
- Now transfer in a clean glass jar and store.