Kadai Kathal – Jack fruit Vegetable, is made with raw jack fruit (unripe). This is a delicious main course dish. Kadai Kathal is well spiced with whole spices. This is a spicy dry sabji served with roti or rice. I like this sabji with thanda paratha.
Cutting jack fruit is a little messy affair. It has sticky latex and hence apply oil on your hands and to the knife before cutting it.
Yield: 3 to 4 serving
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for Kadai Kathal – Jack fruit Vegetable
300 grams peeled kathal (jackfruit)
½ cup tomato puree
3 tablespoon roasted onion, garlic paste
1 medium onion slice
¼ teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
½ teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon dhania powder (coriander)
½ teaspoon jeera powder (cumin)
1 teaspoon amchur (dry mango powder)
½ teaspoon jeera (cumin)
2 bay leaves
1 black cardamom
1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
1+1 tablespoon mustard oil
Directions for Kadai Kathal – Jack fruit Vegetable
- Chop the kathal in ½” thick slices. Boil for 10 minutes until cooked.
- Drain and gently squeeze out water and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick pan; saute the kathal for 5 minutes or till colour changes. You can deep fry them also. Set aside.
- In the same pan add rest of oil; add jeera, mace, cardamom, cloves and bay leaves.
- Add the tomato paste and saute till oil starts to separate.
- Now add the haldi, coriander and chilli and saute for a minute.
- Add the roasted onion paste and saute for a minute.
- Add the sliced onion, Kathal, salt and mix well.
- Add amchur and jeera powder mix.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoon of water, cover and cook for 5 minutes
- Finally add the garam masala.
- Serve garnished with coriander.