Dahi Ke Kabab is a very delicate and mildly flavored appetizer. Unlike other kababs recipes this recipe uses minimal spices. As hung curd is the main ingredient of this kebab this dish is light and healthy. Dahi Ke Kabab is quite unique as it has a creamy and soft texture. Serve it with Coriander & Mint Chutney and julienned onions.
This is one of the gems that I managed to create in my kitchen. You need large amount of curd to make hung curd – but its worth every bit of the effort, and I am sure you would love it.
Yield: 8 to 10
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for dahi ke kabab
1 cup hung yogurt
½ cup mashed paneer (cottage cheese)
2 tablespoon roasted besan (gram flour)
2 tablespoon corn flour
½ teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon jeera (cumin)
1 teaspoon dhania (coriander)
A pinch of elaichi powder (cardamom)
Salt to taste
Oil to panfry
For the stuffing
2 tablespoon onion chopped fine
1 green chilli chopped fine
1” piece ginger chopped fine
A few springs of fresh coriander chopped fine
A pinch of pepper powder
A pinch of salt
Directions for dahi ke kabab
To make hung curd
- Place a strainer on a deep bowl and line it with a muslin cloth.
- Transfer approximately 800 ml curd on this muslin or cheese cloth.
- Cover it and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours and then keep a weight on the cloth and leave it in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
To make Kabab
- Roast the jeera and dhania and pound to a coarse powder.
- Mix all ingredients for the stuffing in a bowl and set aside.
- Transfer the hung curd and cottage cheese in a large bowl and stir to mix well.
- Add all the ingredients except oil and mix.
- Divide the kabab mixture into lemon size balls.
- Now grease your palm, place a ball and flatten it.
- Keep ½ a teaspoon of the stuffing on it and close to make a ball again.
- Now flatten the ball to a Pattie.
- Heat a nonstick griddle or a pan, drizzle a teaspoon of oil and pan fry the kababs on both the sides to a light brown colour on medium heat.
- Serve with green coriander and mint chutney.