Butterscotch Ice-cream is easily prepared at home. A super creamy and delicious ice cream made without an Ice cream maker. People find it hard to believe that it is homemade and is made without using an Ice maker.
I have made the praline powder with cashew nuts and caramelised sugar. There is no essence added to the ice cream. This ice cream is worth a try and I am sure you will want to make again and again.
You can also try our Eggless Banana Cake along with the Ice-cream.
Yield: 1½ to 2 liters
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Freezing time: 12 to 14 hours.
Ingredients for Butterscotch Ice cream
½ liter full cream milk
6 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon milk powder
1 tablespoon corn starch
1½ tablespoon GMS (foam booster)
¼ teaspoon CMC (alginate)
½ cup cream
For the Praline (butterscotch)
3 tablespoon broken cashew nuts
4 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon butter (optional)
Directions for Butterscotch Ice cream
- In a bowl mix CMC, GMS, milk powder, cornstarch and 3 tablespoon milk and make it into a smooth paste. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan pour rest of the milk add sugar and bring it to a boil. Now add the milk powder mix and boil by string continuously.
- Reduce the heat to low and boil for 5 to 7 minutes or till the milk is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Bring it to room temperature by stirring.
- Now pour this mixture in a freezer safe container and freeze for 4 hours or till almost set but not hard.
- Now take it out from the freezer and transfer it in a food processor and add cream.
- Blend at least for 6 to 8 minutes till the mixture is light and frothy and should be at least 1½ to 2 liters in volume.
- Add 1/3 of the praline and churn again.
- Pour 1/3 of the ice cream in a freezer safe container, sprinkle some praline, Repeat 2 more time.
- Now tap the container and close the lid.
- Freeze overnight.
How to make Praline
- Grease a metal tray or line a plate with butter paper and set aside.
- Heat a dry non-stick pan. When hot, sprinkle the sugar over the pan. Reduce flame to low heat and wait while the sugar starts to melt and turns a light golden brown.
- Add the cashew nuts and butter and stir until the mixture turns a dark golden brown. Take care not to burn it, sugar is very easy to burn.
- Remove from fire as soon as the colour changes to dark golden brown and the cashew nuts look roasted, tip immediately into a plate lined with parchment or butter paper and let it cool completely.
- Break into smaller pieces or pulse in your mixer until you get a very coarse praline. Keep it chunky.
- Store in an airtight container.
- This can be used on ice creams, or even for making chocolates at home.