Manchow Soup is a popular Indo Chinese dish relished by all. It finds place in the menu of all the restaurants serving Chinese food.
It is a hearty and filling soup. Manchow Soup has plenty of vegetables, which are simmered in vegetable stock with a generous amount of ginger and garlic. This flavorful thick soup, topped with fried noodles is quite filling.
You can play with the combination of vegetables according to your taste. Some other vegetables that can be added are mushrooms, baby corn, celery, tofu etc.
Yield: 4 to 5 serving
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for Manchow Soup
½ cup carrot chopped fine
½ cup green beans chopped fine
½ cup cabbage chopped fine
1/3 cup red capsicum
½ cup spring onions white chopped fine
½ cup spring onions green chopped fine
1 to 2 tablespoon lemon juice/ vinegar
2 tablespoon ginger
2 tablespoon garlic
2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
2 tablespoon pepper powder
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon sesame oil/ peanut oil
2 to 3 tablespoon corn flour
3 cups vegetable stock
2 cups water
2 cups fried noodles
Chilli in vinegar
Directions for Manchow Soup
For the fried noodles
- Boil the noodles according to the instructions on the packet.
- Drain and let them cool.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon plain flour or corn flour and deep fry in small batches in very hot oil.
- When crisp, drain on absorbent paper and set aside.
For the soup
- Heat oil in a sauce pan; add ginger, garlic, onions and saute for a minute.
- Add carrot, beans, cabbage, spring onion white and saute for 3 minutes.
- Now add capsicum, half of spring onions green, stock, pepper, salt, soy sauce, water and bring it to boil.
- Dissolve the cornflour in 1/3 cup of water and add to the soup, stirring constantly. Allow the soup to simmer for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and add the lemon juice or vinegar.
- Adjust the seasoning and add the rest of spring onion greens.
- Serve with fried noodles on top along with chillies in vinegar.