Chenna Payas (Cottage cheese balls in thickened milk) is a delicious sweet made of paneer and rabri. They might look similar to Rasmalai but are different. Rasmalai is big and flat in shape where as Chenna Payas is very small and round. For rasmalai we boil the chenna balls in sugar syrup before adding to milk but chenna payas balls are directly boiled in milk to avoid getting the spongy texture of Rasgulla.
Chenna Payas is very easy and simple to make. The chance of going wrong is not there unlike rasmalai or rasgulla. These soft and mouth melting chenna balls are mildly flavored with cardamom and saffron. Enjoy this delicate sweet dish with your family and friends and make everyday a special day. It can be used during fasting as it is a falahari recipe.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Total time: 75 minutes
Ingredients for Chenna Payas
For Chenna balls
1 litre full cream milk
1 lemon juice
2 teaspoon sugar
For the Rabri
2 liters full cream milk
¾ cup sugar
Few strands of saffron soaked in 1teaspoon milk
¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
6 to 8 badam (almond)sliced
6 to 8 pista (pistachio)sliced
Directions for Chenna Payas
- Boil 2 litres milk in a thick bottomed pan. Let it boil till it reduces to half.
- In the meanwhile make the chenna by boiling 1 litre of milk in a saucepan.
- Ones it comes to boiling point switch off the heat add lemon juice and stir. The milk will curdle. Strain and wash the paneer under tap water to remove the sourness. Keep it under light weight for 20 minutes to drain excess water.
- Check the milk , if it is little more than half , add sugar and let it boil till your chenne balls are ready.
- Place the paneer in a plate add 2 teaspoon sugar and mash it well with the end of your palm to make it smooth and moist.
- Divide it into 35 to 40 portions and roll to shape like balls.
- Now add all the balls in the boiling milk and continue to boil on medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes.
- The balls will expand become soft.
- Switch off the heat, add cardamom, saffron and stir gently.
- Let it come to room temperature, add half pista and almonds and then refrigerate.
- Serve garnished with rest of pista and almonds.
Note: The kneading of chenna should be done for 10 minutes. Make the balls by rolling softly. Make sure to add the balls before the milk is reduced to half. Most of the time the balls become very soft after boiling so be gentle while stirring.