Chawal Ka Cheela (Rice Pan Cake) is very crisp paper thin cheela made with rice flour. It is a very easy and light dish. It can be made in a jiffy if you just have rice flour in your pantry. This is a kind of instant rava dosa but very different in taste. The batter is to be made really very thin to get crisp cheelas.
This dish is from the land of rice-“Rice Bowl of India” Chhattisgarh. Over 20,000 variety of rice is produced in Chhattisgarh. It is responsible for more than seventy percent of the country’s production of rice. So rice being a staple food this cheela made from rice is relished for breakfast. We all in our family love these cheelas made by my mother in law. She is too good, and over the period I have learnt the art of making thin crisp cheela like hers.
For: 4 to 5 persons
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for Chawal Ka Cheela
1 cup chawal ka atta (rice flour)
2 table suji/ rava
2 tablespoon coriander chopped
1 tablespoon ginger chopped fine
1 green chilli chopped fine
2 onions chopped
1 teaspoon jeera
½ teaspoon chilli powder
Salt to taste
600 to 700 ml water
Oil for roasting
Directions for Chawal Ka Cheela
- In a large bowl transfer all the ingredients except onion, water and oil.
- Make a thin batter by adding water. Whisk to make a lump free batter.
- The batter should be really thin. Let it rest for 10 minutes to get better results.
- Heat a good nonstick tava on high heat.
- Scatter 1 tablespoon onion on the tava; now just pour the batter on really hot tava in a very thin layer so that small holes (jalis) are formed. Do not try to spread like you do for dosa. This is to be made like rava dosa.
- Add 1/3 teaspoon oil on the sides, and roast till golden.
- Gently flip to roast the other side till crisp.
- Serve immediately.
Note: You can add more water if the cheela is not paper thin. Always churn the batter before pouring as the rice flour tends to settle down.