Sambhar is a popular South Indian accompaniment that is mainly served with Idli, Dosa, Vada and Rice. It is lentil based south Indian dal recipe, slightly tangy to taste combined with a mix of vegetables, spices, and freshly ground sambar powder that gives a thumping aroma all over the house. Combination of vegetables can be changed as per your taste. Samhbar can be made using only one type of vegetable or with mix vegetables. Sambhar for rice is generally made using mix vegetables. I have made this Sambhar with freshly ground masala paste.
This recipe has been passed on by my friend. She follows her mother-in-law recipe. Amma is no more but I always remember her, whenever I make this Sambhar.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for Sambhar with freshly ground masala
½ cup Tuvar Dal
1 cup mix vegetables cubed (Radish, carrot, Beans)
2 teaspoon Sambar powder (only used while sautéing vegetables)
2 tablespoon Tamarind pulp (to taste)
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon Oil
For the paste
1 tablespoon Coriander seeds
1 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
4 dry red Chilli’s
1 tablespoon Chana Dal
¾ tablespoon Urad Dal
A pinch of Asafoetida
4 tablespoon grated Coconut
1 Tomato cubed
For the tempering
½ tsp Mustard seeds
8-10 Shallots or 1 Onion cubed
2 Red chillies
A sprig of Curry leaves
A pinch of Asafoetida
2 tablespoon Ghee
Directions for sambhar with freshly ground masala
- Soak the Dal for ½ an hour. Boil it with 2 cups water and salt for 3 whistles.
- In a pan add 1 teaspoon oil, vegetables and the sambar powder and saute for 2 to 3 minutes and then add tamarind paste.
- Now add the vegetables to the dal and give one more pressure.
- In a pan dry roast one by one coriander, fenugreek, Chana dal, urad dal and chilli.
- Transfer all the ingredients for the paste in a blender a make a paste.
- Add the paste to the dal and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Stir the dal so that it does not stick at the bottom.
- Adjust the thickness and salt.
- Heat a small pan, add ghee, mustard and let it crackle.
- Add red chilli, hing, curry leaves and onion. Saute till the onions are translucent.
- Pour on the sambar.
- Serve with steaming hot rice with ghee on top.