Oats Idly with Tomato Chutney as the name suggests is made of Oats instead of rice and served with tangy Tomato Chutney. This is a very healthy dish to start your day with. You can also use Coconut Chutney or both with Oats Idly. Oats are healthy food to consume, they are high in soluble fiber and rich in vitamin B1 and vitamin E.
Don’t forget to drizzle a bit of ghee on the steamed Idly before serving. This gives a very good aroma and the taste is also enhanced. Ghee is rich in antioxidants and acts as an aid in the absorption of vitamins and minerals from other foods. It helps to strengthen the immune system.
I have been making Oats Idly for few years now and have experimented a lot. The recipe shared here is what I have sticked to. So go ahead and try this wholesome and healthy Oats Idly with Tomato Chutney or any other chutney of your choice.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for Oats Idly
1 cup instant oats
½ cup Rava
1 onion chopped fine
1 green chilli chopped fine
1” piece ginger chopped fine
1 small carrot grated
Few curry leaves chopped
2 tablespoon coriander chopped
1 cup yogurt
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
A pinch of Asafoetida
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon cashew nut (optional)
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon ENO (1 sachet)
1 teaspoon ghee (optional)
Directions for Oats Idly
- In a pan, dry roast the oats on low heat. Transfer in a plate to cool and then grind. Transfer in a bowl.
- In the same pan dry roast the Rava on low heat, cool and add to the oats.
- Heat oil in a pan; add the mustard, and let it crackle.
- Now add the asafoetida, onions, ginger, green chilli and saute for a minute.
- Add carrot, curry leaves and switch off the heat. Let it cool. Now add to the oats.
- Make a thick batter by adding yogurt. Add water if required.
- Add the coriander and salt. Mix well and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Prepare your idly maker.
- Stir and check the thickness. If too thick add little water.
- Add the ENO and mix lightly. The batter will get aeriated and become light.
- Now steam the idly’s. Check by inserting a tooth pick.
- Drizzle ghee on top.
- Serve with tomato chutney.