Mushroom Biryani is an aromatic rice dish cooked using basmati rice, mushrooms and vegetables. The semi-cooked rice and vegetables are then cooked on dum over low heat. The mix of spices, rose water, saffron and ghee releases a strong aroma which fills the whole house thus triggering your hunger. I am sure you will enjoy it with our Kachumber Raita.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 45 minutes
Total time: 90 minutes
Ingredients for Mushroom Biryani
200 grams Mushrooms
1 cup Cauliflower separated
1 Potato peeled and cut in wedges
2 +1 Onions sliced
1 teaspoon garlic paste
2 tomatoes purred
2 tablespoon mint leaves
2 tablespoon coriander chopped
½ teaspoon Kewra water
1 teaspoon Rose water
A few strands Saffron soaked in 2 teaspoon milk
2 tablespoon Ghee
Oil for frying
For the Marinade
½ cup yogurt
2 teaspoon Ginger garlic paste
½ teaspoon Haldi
½ teaspoon Red chilli powder
1 teaspoon Coriander powder
1 tablespoon Coriander chopped
1 teaspoon Salt
For the dry masala
2 Black Cardamoms
1” piece Cinnamon
½ teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Coriander
1 teaspoon Red chilli
½ teaspoon Pepper
For the Rice
2 cups Basmati rice (long grain rice) soaked.
2 Bay leaves
½ teaspoon Ghee
1 teaspoon salt
Directions FOR MUSHROOM BIRYANI
- With a wet kitchen towel wipe the mushrooms well and cut into half or in 3 pieces
- Mix the entire ingredient for the marinade and add the mushrooms. Mix well and let it sit for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Dry roast the first 6 ingredients for the dry masala on low heat till aroma is realized. Add the rest of the ingredients and roast for 2 more minutes. Cool and grind to a powder.
- In a big pot add 8 cups of water and bring to a boil. Drain the rice and add along with all the ingredients for the rice and cook till the rice is ¾ cooked. Drain the excess water and mix the saffron. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry 1 sliced onion till brown and crisp. Drain and set aside.
- Fry the potatoes and cauliflower also till golden. Drain and set aside.
- Heat Ghee in a pan, add 2 sliced onions and saute till translucent. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute. Now stir in the tomato puree and saute till the mixture become thick. Add the marinated mushrooms and cook till mushrooms are half cooked.
- Now add the potato, cauliflower, half of the mint and coriander, the dry spice powder and salt. Stir and cook till the vegetables are done. Check the salt and seasoning. Switch off the heat.
How to proceed
- You can use an oven safe dish or a pan with a lid.
- Start with greasing the pan.
- Arrange a layer- ½ of the mushrooms and then 1/2 of the rice. Sprinkle some of the kewra and rose water, then half of mint and coriander and 1/2 of the fried onions.
- Similarly make the 2nd
- If you are baking then cover the dish with a baking foil and seal it. Bake at 200 degrees for 10 minutes.
- If using a pan then cover it with the lid. Heat a heavy iron skillet and place the pan on it. Leave for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Serve this flavorful biryani with Kachumber raita.