Methi Matar Malai – Fenugreek and Green Peas Curry, has a creamy texture. It is made with green peas and methi (fenugreek leaves). The bitterness of methi is well complimented with the sweetness of matar. Cream and khoya helps to get the perfect creamy texture.
With its stir fried cashew nuts, onion and aromatic Indian spices based creamy gravy, this popular Indian curry of fresh green peas, fenugreek leaves and milk cream is irresistible. Methi and mutter are a super-hit combination as their flavours complement each other well. This is a sure shot recipe where you cannot go wrong. Serve with Masoor Daal, Lauki ke Kofte, Butter Naan or Khasta Roti.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Ingredients For Methi Matar Malai – Fenugreek and Green Peas Curry
3 cups Methi chopped
2 cups Matar
½ cup Cream
½ cup Khoya (made from milk, similar to ricotta cheese)
½ cup Milk
1 tablespoon Oil
1 tablespoon Ghee (clarified butter)
½ teaspoon Garam Masala
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon Sugar optional
For the paste
2 Onions sliced
1 tablespoon Garlic
1 tablespoon Ginger chopped
2 Green Chilies chopped
3 Green Cardamoms
10 Pepper corns
1” Stick Cinnamon
1 tablespoon Oil
2 tablespoon Cashews
Directions For Methi Matar Malai (Fenugreek and Green Peas Curry)
- Wash and chop the methi finely. Add 1 teaspoon salt and set aside for 10 minutes. Squeeze out the water and keep.
- Boil the peas with ½ teaspoon sugar and salt. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan; add all of the ingredients for the paste except cashew. Saute till onions are soft and translucent. Switch off the heat, add cashew and let it cool. Grind to a fine paste by using minimum water if required.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of oil, add the cumin, and then the paste.
- Saute till it leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add salt, garam masala and khoya. Stir to mix well.
- Now add the methi and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the peas and milk, mix, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add half of the cream and let it simmer on low heat for another 5 minutes.
- Served garnished with rest of the cream on top.