Gajar ka Halwa is a favourite halwa for whole of India especially made from red carrots that is available during winter season. Traditionally this halwa is made by boiling carrot in milk. This process takes a long time and so, many short cuts and express methods have been adopted.
Trust me and make this halwa the traditional way and you will love the outcome. When you see the joy of your family members and friends by eating this Carrot Halwa you will forget the time spent for making it. I have made this Gajar ka Halwa without milkmaid and without Khoya (solidified milk).
This Halwa is quite healthy as it has the goodness of carrot and milk. I have not added any additional fat by using ghee. The use of dry fruits like raisins, almonds and cashew gives the otherwise soft halwa a crunch.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 50 to 60 minutes
1 kilogram Carrot
2 liters full cream Milk
200 grams Sugar (1 cup)
½ teaspoon cardamom powder
1 tablespoon Almond sliced
1 Tablespoon Raisins optional
1 tablespoon Cashew broken optional
1 tablespoon Ghee (clarified butter) optional
- Peel and grate the carrot.
- Boil milk in a large nonstick wok or kadai.
- Add the grated carrot and boil till all the milk has evaporated. Stir the halwa once in a while so that it does not stick at the bottom.
- Now add the sugar and stir till all the sugar syrup formed has been absorbed
- Add raisins and ghee if you want and stir for 2 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and add the cardamom powder.
- Sprinkle the sliced almonds and cashew.
- Delicious halwa is ready to be served.