Baked Sweet Corn Crackers is a healthy and delicious receipe for a starter/appetizer made with cracker biscuits and sweet corn. The cracker biscuit which I have used is un-salted.
You can also watch our Video on making of Baked Sweet Corn Crackers!
Corn has about the same number of calories as an apple and less than one-fourth the sugar. Antioxidant activity, which helps protect the body from cancer and heart disease, is actually increased when corn is cooked. Best way to choose corn (as conveyed by a farmer friend) is to avoid corn with dry, pale husks and silks that are desiccated where they enter the cob. If pricked, kernels should squirt whitish juice.
Boiled Corn Kernels can be mixed in different forms to create a wonderful and healthy snack or starter. During the monsoon season corn is widely available in India. I have used sweet corn but one can use desi corn or bhutta.
For me using the forzen corn is much more convenient than using the corn cobs. I always stockup sweet corn in the freezer since it comes in handy whenever I need to use it for my recipies.
You might also like our other recipes like Cheesy Broccoli Florets, Cauliflower Fritters, Baked Zucchini Fingers and Paneer and Vegetable Cutlet (Cottage Cheese Vegetable Patty).
Yield: 20 to 25 pieces
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for Baked Sweet Corn Crackers
1 cup sweet corn kernels boiled
½ cup onions chopped fine
½ cup capsicum chopped fine
1 teaspoon garlic minced
1 tablespoon celery chopped fine
1½ teaspoon mustard sauce
½ teaspoon pepper
Salt to taste
1½ cups milk
2 tablespoon corn starch
¹/3 cup cheese grated
¹/3 cup mozzarella cheese grated
2 tablespoon butter
Directions for Baked Sweet Corn Crackers
- Make a very coarse paste of sweet corn and set aside.
- Make slurry by mixing milk and corn starch. Set aside.
- Heat butter in a pan, add garlic, onion and sauté for a few minutes.
- Now add the capsicum and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add sweet corn, mustard sauce, salt, pepper and stir.
- Stir in milk slurry and stir well till the mixture thickens.
- Add the celery and the grated cheese. Switch off the heat.
- Let this mixture come to room temperature.
- Now spread 1 teaspoon of corn mixture on the cracker, a little mozzarella cheese and a few drops of Tabasco. Prepare the rest in this manner.
- Bake under a hot grill for 4 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.
Note: The topping should be at room temperature before applying on the crackers otherwise the crackers will become soggy.