Oats Appe (Appam / Paniyaram / Paddu) is a recipe for quick and healthy breakfast. It can be served as a snack or packed in kid’s lunch box. You can add other vegetables of your choice. Serve with the choice of onion chutney and/or coconut chutney.
To make these appe you need the paniyaram chatti or appe pan. These appams have a soft texture and are crisp when hot. On storing the crispness will go away.
A healthy approach for those who are calorie conscious, these appams stuffed with oats and grated carrots are just yum. Who says food can’t be nutritious and scrumptious at the same time ?
You may like to try our other similar recipe like Oats Idly.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Ingredients For Oats Appe (Appam/Paniyaram)
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup rava
1 onion chopped fin
1 green chilli chopped fine
1 inch piece of ginger chopped fine
2 to 3 tablespoon carrot grated
2 tablespoon curry leaves
2 tablespoon coriander chopped fine
1 cup dahi (yogurt)
1 sachet ENO
½ teaspoon jeera
½ teaspoon mustard
Salt to taste
Directions For Oats Appe (Appam/Paniyaram)
- Dry roast the oats in a pan; grind to a coarse powder and set aside.
- Dry roast the suji lightly and add to the oats, mix.
- Add salt, dahi and make a batter by adding just enough water. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan: add rai, jeera, ginger, green chilli, onion and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrot, curry leaves, coriander and add to the batter.
- Check the consistency of the batter.
- Just before cooking add eno and mix lightly. The batter will become fluffy.
- Heat the mould and grease with oil well.
- Fill ¾ of the mould with batter, drizzle oil, cover and cook.
- Turn and cook by drizzling little more oil.
- Cook till golden and evenly cooked.
- Serve with chutney.